“The inconvenience of the present arrangement can only be realized by those who have to work under it”: a History of the Legal Research Collections at McGill

A.J. Hobbins

Abstract


The origins of McGill University’s Faculty of Law and of its law library stretch back to the 1840s. With the formal establishment of the Faculty in 1853, the issue of books and a library became acute. Through donations from a variety of benefactors a respectable collection of books began emerging. Only with Sir William Macdonald’s endowment for the Faculty in 1890, however, was ongoing support for the library finally guaranteed. Like the Faculty, the law library moved about considerably until 1949 when both settled into the James Ross property at the north-west corner of Penfield and Peel. Even here, the library has been housed in various locations before moving in 1998 to the Nahum Gelber Law Library.


Resumé

Les origines de la Faculté de droit de l’Université McGill et de sa Bibliothèque de droit remontent aux années 1840. Suite à la création formelle de la Faculté en1853, la question d’une bibliothèque et d’une collection de livres est devenue pressante. Grâce aux dons de divers bienfaiteurs, une collection respectable de livres commença à être établie. Ce n’est toutefois qu’avec la dotation que Sir William Macdonald fit à la Faculté en 1890 qu’un appui financier à long terme fut enfin garanti pour la Bibliothèque. Comme la Faculté, la Bibliothèque de droit s’est vu domiciliée à divers endroits jusqu’à 1949, quand la Faculté et la Bibliothèque se sont installées sur la propriété James Ross au coin nord-ouest des rues Penfield et Peel. Même après cette relocalisation, la Bibliothèque a occupé divers espaces jusqu’à ce qu’elle déménage en 1998 à la Bibliothèque de droit Nahum Gelber.



Full Text:

PDF




ISSN: 0838-2026